Welcome in Paris

(retour accueil)

Bilan expatriation



Paris has an extensive network of roads, public transport, and pedestrian routes.

The city's subway system, the Métro, is the city's most widely used transport system.

The public transport network covers all parts of the capital and a monthly pass includes unlimited trips. There are 14 lines, numbered from 1 to 14 and more than 300 stations. Lines are identifi ed by number and colour. An additional express network, the RER commuter rail, has fi ve lines (A through E), and connects more distant BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT parts of the urban area. In addition, the Paris region is served by a light rail network with six lines, and another six are currently in development. These public transport options are usually quite efficient. Tickets may be purchased at each station, and the Navigo pass, a smart card, may also be used for payment. Automated ticket machines perate in multiple languages, including English, French and German.


Une question fiscale ?

question fiscale


Where to Live in the City?

The 20 districts are generally known by their numbers rather than by name—so you might say, for example, that you live in the 8th district, which would be written as 8ème (or simply 8e) in French.

Whether you're thinking about renting or purchasing a home, properties in Paris are priced by the square metre. (For the purpose of conversion, one square metre is about 10.76 square feet.) The market is driven by the size of the unit, rather than the number of bedrooms. While there are variations between districts, the ranges in the adjacent table provide an indication of the typical types of property available by size.

Smaller properties tend to be more expensive per square metre.


Une question fiscale ?

question fiscale


Renting Property ?

Rental rates are calculated per month, and are based on property size in square metres. Most apartments are rented unfurnished. Many rentals within the city do not provide parking, although parking spaces can be rented separately.

Home contents insurance will be required, to insure your personal belongings and to show that your civil liability as a tenant is covered. The building itself is insured by the landlord.


Obligations and Responsibilities

Landlords are required to provide what is known as “decent housing”, meaning that the building must in no way damage the health and safety of a tenant. This includes the overall condition of the building, drains and gutters in good working order, the presence of natural light, electricity and mains water supply, bathroom facilities and a minimum size.


The “dépôt de garantie”, a deposit, is also due at this stage. The amount is related to the cost of rent and is usually equal to one or two months' rent.


You must provide an insurance certifi cate to show that your civil liability as a tenant is covered. Any French insurer will provide this. It is most commonly part of your home contents insurance that also has general cover for civil liability. These insurances are known as “assurance multirisque vie privée”, or personal liability insurance.

Proof of Employment

This usually requires copies of the tenant's last three “fi ches de paie”, or pay slips. You will need to prove that your monthly income is at least three times the monthly rent, and also provide a copy of your employment contract to show that you are not employed in a temporary position or still on a trial basis, known as the “période d'essai”.

Caution Solidaire

A personal guarantee from a third party (usually a European Union resident), also known as the “garant”, or guarantor. Just like the tenant, the guarantor must be able to prove monthly earnings of at least three times the monthly rent, and is legally obliged to pay any rent the tenant fails to pay. A relative, friend or work colleague can serve as the guarantor.


Une question fiscale ?

question fiscale


And ...

Before you can sign the rental lease and get the keys to your property, the following payments must have been received by the landlord and/or estate agency:

•  First month's rent.

•  Deposit (usually one or two months' rent).

•  Estate agency fee.

Finally, you may be asked to provide a bank guarantee document stating that the account has been opened and the required amount deposited, although this is rarely required.

After moving out of an apartment, the owner is obliged to refund the security deposit—minus any necessary deductions, cleaning and/or repairs—within two months (French law allows a period of two month's maximum to return the deposit), along with any justifications.

And for the Healthcare ?

France has an excellent healthcare system with premium multilingual medical facilities. It is ranked number one among OECD countries for access to healthcare.

Most healthcare and emergency medical services in Paris and its suburbs are provided by the Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris (AP-HP), a public hospital system that's the largest in Europe. It provides healthcare, teaching, research, education and emergency medical services. Private hospitals called “cliniques” provide specialist treatments, including rehabilitation facilities and surgery for sport injuries.

Medical Bills

It is usual in France for doctors to issue patients with a bill for the treatment received. Most doctors sign up to the French social security system standard fees, which regulates costs for certain types of treatment.

Carte Vitale and Carte Mutuelle

You will need two cards for reimbursement of your medical expenses: the “Carte Vitale”, which is linked to the social security system, and the “Carte Mutuelle”.


Une question fiscale ?

question fiscale


What about French Taxes ?

Tax residence is not a matter of choice; it depends on legal or reciprocal agreements and treaties.

Income Tax

Your taxable income is the total of the income categories below after deductions for expenses or losses :

•  Employment income (10% deduction for expenses, capped)

•  Business income (real expenses deduction)

•  Professional income (real expenses deduction)

•  Property income (taxes, repairs, expenses and mortgage interest deduction)

•  Agricultural income

More on taxes in French





Lire l'avertissement, cliquez ici